About Viblast Player
What Does Viblast Player Do?
What Are Viblast Player's Benefits?
- The best possible user experience: Viblast Player contains a smart algorithm which takes into account a user's browser version, resolution, and bandwidth and serves the best version of the stream compatible with said parameters, be it 1080p through video tag or a Flash video. The adaptive bitrate (ABR) takes care of switching between different qualities if, for instance, the user's connection speed improves.
- Compatible with Web standards: The core belief in Viblast player's philosophy is that one should always strive to harness the power of Web specifications for, after all, they are the product of many brilliant independent minds and their implementation should be (and up to a point already is) the end-goal of the whole Web ecosystem.
- Flash fallback: In the cases where Web standards haven't been utilized, Viblast offers automatic fallback to Flash through Video.js.
What Additional Options Does Viblast Player's API Provide?
- Adaptive bitrate (ABR): the player selects the optimal quality to serve to any given viewer, depending on their browser version, resolution, and bandwidth;
- Multi-audio support: through Viblast Player one can offer different audio channels from which the viewer can select, be it 5+1 audio or a dubbing in a different language;
- ID3 tags: streams played through the player can contain meta information in ID3 tags, such as title, artist, year and so on;
- Program date time: Viblast Player exposes the program date time, i.e. the originating date and time of the video being streamed.
What About Mobile?
Viblast relies on Media Source Extensions (MSE) to deliver its API (Application Programming Interface). However, when it comes to mobile browsers, only Chrome on Android supports MSE. In all other cases (like Safari on iOS) the video will play natively via the browser's implementation of the
<video> element, but Viblast's API (adaptive bitrate, multi-audio support, ID3 tags, program date time) will not be available.
What Is Viblast Player's Availability in Non-Mobile Browsers?
There are three tiers here:
The browser supports MSE (all modern web browsers): the video is played through MSE and Viblast's API is fully available.
The browser supports neither MSE nor Flash (older browsers to which the Flash plugin hasn't been installed): video cannot be played; Viblast's API is unavailable.
How Do I Get Viblast Player?
- See our homepage